Monday 15 February 2010

A Single Woman

I have no patience. Zero. Squat-all. As a child I used tell my brother he was irritating. He would simply respond by telling me that I was irritable. Well it’s a fine line when you’re a woman. It’s a fine fine narrow piece of ice and my housemate is treading on it without any trepidation. He should be.

My threshold for daily annoyances has packed its bags and gone on holiday. I’m quite aware that this Saturday I move house, I move into my new, smaller, but less ikea’d girly and bookshelved flat and as such can no longer tolerate any annoyances I used to put up with. Is this normal? Am I some sort of intolerant freak? Am I to sit back and ignore the inhalation of cereal next to me, while words sputter out mid chomp? I guess this is just another addition to my list of middle-class problems, which I’ll throw in the furnace when I get a firmer grip of reality.

Speaking of not having a grip on reality, last night I watched When Harry met Sally for what was quite possibly the 50th time. Which was preceded by watching 50 First Dates, another high quality contribution to the world of film, by a man named Sandler. All this on the one day that I normally pledge to resent love and be the bitter (prematurely) old woman that I am. The stupid universe snuck up on me. It filled my belly with paella, and then erased the fact that it was the dreaded V day from my brain and taunted me with a severely loved up tv schedule.  I wasn’t even bitter, not one bit, I even shed a little tear over 50 First Dates and dozed off blissfully before the final “and it’s not because it’s new years eve” speech of Harry and Sally. So in the spirit of positivity and ignorant bliss, I’l just assume that the little notes of secret admiration got lost in the post… hmmph.

On Saturday, still in the throws of ‘post-cereal-munching’ anger, I dotted off to the movies. By myself. This is hands-down, one of my favourite treats. I’m not some kind of freakish loner. I wanted to see A Single Man, with Colin Firth, and I didn’t want to risk it being ruined by company.  It was complete and utter film perfection, arresting, poignant, heart aching perfection. I’m in love with it, in awe of it and hanging on its every word. You should probably see it. 

3 comments:

  1. Let's hope the cereal monster doesn't catch wind of this! As for the film, I'm sold - not that Colin Firth needs a sales pitch. As my dear friend would say hummana hummana! Can't wait to move in to our pokey, girly flat. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. My rose was pink,
    my violet was blue...
    ordinarily I'd cause a stink
    cos it wasn't from you

    But V day has a way
    of making us see
    that true love is not only for a day
    just look at you and mee.....

    Great piece, and rest assured
    the irritability is genetic.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear D

    Your comedic genius never ceases to amaze me. I really hope you have changed flatmates as that cereal munching could drive anyone to the closest tall building... I shall endeavour to see "A Single Man" as soon as I have given "When Harry met Sally" another watch.

    Yours sincerely
    TTB

    ReplyDelete